For the protection and safety of our volunteers, Coastal Hospice continues to limit their activities as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Until further notice, we are continuing to limit our in-person volunteer activities in homes and in facilities. In addition, all new volunteer training for 2021 is on hold. If you are interested in becoming a Coastal Hospice volunteer, please contact the Volunteer Services office at 410-742-8732 to be added to our contact list for future training.
The Role of a Coastal Hospice Volunteer
Coastal Hospice is blessed to have over 200 active volunteers that serve in various roles in our organization. Volunteers are a great resource of assistance and support for the patients, caregivers and staff. Hospice volunteers are a group of highly trained, motivated, caring individuals with a broad range of life experience. Many have been touched by personal experiences with illness and caregiving and truly understand what it means to possess a “Hospice Heart.” Often our volunteers say that being a hospice volunteer is an experience that has changed their lives and that they have received so much more than they have given.
Ways a Volunteer Can Help
- Providing companionship to patients by playing cards, reading a book, holding a hand, watching TV together or just being present
- Sitting with patients while caregivers run errands, attend appointments or take a much-needed nap
- Delivering flowers to patients
- Providing regular “check in” phone calls to patients or their caregivers
- Providing transportation to an appointment
- Delivering groceries to patients’ homes
- Writing letters, making phone calls or running errands for patients
- Assisting with various office tasks
- Helping with laundry or delivering meals to patients at our hospice residence
- Taking patients for a ride or for a walk, if appropriate
- Welcoming visitors at the reception desk at the Stansell House or Coastal Hospice at the Lake
- Assisting with sorting and pricing of merchandise, creating displays, operating the cash register or assisting customers at our Thrift Shop
- Visiting with and presenting patients that were veterans of the armed forces with a certificate of appreciation as part of our We Honor Veterans program
- Providing community education, attending health fairs or assisting with fundraising events
- Preparing mailings and assisting with our grief support group meetings
- Crocheting, knitting or quilting blankets or twiddle muffs for patients
- Participating as a Santa or Elf in our annual Santa Run delivering gifts to patients and caregivers
“Volunteering with Coastal Hospice is a gratifying experience. It’s rewarding to help an organization that does so much for people when they need it most.”
– Coastal Hospice Volunteer
Share with us your interest and how you would like to help and the staff in our Volunteer Services office will match you with one of our many volunteer opportunities. We will work within your schedule and provide you with all the training and skills necessary for you to succeed as a Coastal Hospice volunteer.
You have questions? We have answers! Start here to learn more.
Learn more about our organization, staff and our 40 years of serving the Lower Maryland Eastern Shore.
If you or someone you love needs care, click here. We would be honored to help.
Honor or remember someone you love and respect through one or more of our many donor programs and help support those who need it most.